Ultimate Canada Job Hunting Guide

Short Term Jobs in Canada

One question that often pops up in our email box is: Can I move to Canada as a temporary worker? The answer is yes, but let’s warn you that getting in as a temporary worker needs skills, experience, a great deal of perseverance and, yes, luck.

 To work in Canada for a short term, most people need a valid work permit. There are some exceptions, which we’ll get to in a minute.

 There are several steps you must follow to apply for a Canada work permit.

 First off, you must be offered a job in Canada before you apply for your work permit. So it’s up to you to start the process by posting on job sites, researching potential employers and getting in touch with them.

 If your skills are a good match and a company decides to take you on, your employer has to provide you with a formal job offer. This can be in the form of a written letter or a more formal employment contract. You will need this to apply for a work permit.

 In most cases, your employer will need to work with Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) to get confirmation of the job offer. HRSDC’s role is to provide advice to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) regarding the impact on the Canadian labour market that the entry of a foreign worker will have.

 CIC offers several programs to facilitate the application process for work permits in industries with a greater need for skilled workers. These include information technology workers across Canada and tool and die and machinists in Ontario.

 Once your employer gets clearances from HRSDC and gives you the go-ahead, you can apply for a work permit.

 In most cases, you have to do this at a Canadian embassy, high commision or consulate. You can only apply for a permit after arriving in Canada if:

 * You are from the USA, Greenland or St Pierre and Miquelon.
* You do not need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to visit Canada and your job does not need confirmation from HRSDC.
* You do not need a Temporary Resident Visa to visit Canada, your job requires you to have HRSDC confirmation and it has been issued by the time you arrive.

 You can also apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:

 * You, or your parents, have a study permit or work permit.
* You are authorized to do one job in Canada without a work permit but want a permit to do another job. To qualify for this, you must not be a business visitor.
* You have a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) that is valid for six or more months.
* You are in Canada because you have an inland application for permanent residence. However, you will have to pass certain stages in the principal application before you are eligible to receive a work permit.

 Spouses and Dependents: Spouses (wife, husband or common-law partner) and dependents who come to Canada with a foreign worker need to have their own work permit if they want to work in Canada. In many cases, you can apply for a work permit without having to obtain an HRSDC job confirmation.

 For your spouse to qualify for a work permit without a HRSDC job confirmation, you must meet two requirements:

 1. You must be authorized to work in Canada for six months or longer.
2. The work you are doing must meet a minimum skill level (usually work which would require at least a college diploma.)

 Your spouse’s permit will be valid for the same period as your authorization to work in Canada.

 Changing your Permit: Once in Canada, you need to apply to change your permit if:

 • your job changes;
• your work will take longer than planned; or
• you need to change jobs or employers.

 We mentioned earlier that certain jobs are exempt from work permit requirements.

 These include:

 Business Visitors: People coming to Canada on business do not need a work permit. Business visitors must work for a company located outside of Canada. Business visitors cannot directly enter the Canadian labour market.

 On-Campus Employment: Certain foreign students studying in Canada can work on their campus without a work permit.

 Performing Artists: Foreign artists and their essential supporting staff coming to Canada to perform do not need a permit if they are only performing in Canada for a limited period of time and will not be performing in a bar or restaurant. Artists working in Canada in this category may not enter into an employment relationship with the Canadian group that has contracted for their services.

 News Reporters: Reporters working for foreign newspapers, television channels, news agencies, or companies involved in reporting news events may work in Canada to report on events in Canada.

 Clergy: Persons who are coming to Canada to work as ordained ministers, lay persons or members of a religious order, do not need a work permit to perform their religious duties or assist a religious group. These religious duties may include preaching doctrine, presiding at liturgical functions or spiritual counselling.

 Examiners and Evaluators: Professors and academic experts may come to Canada to evaluate or supervise academic projects, research proposals or university theses. This applies to Canadian research organizations as well as academic institutions.

 Health Care Students: Foreign health-care students can do their clinical clerkships or short-term work in Canada without a work permit if the work is for the primary purpose of acquiring training. Health care students must have written approval from the Canadian regulatory board responsible for their occupation.